Dr Robert S Schmidli
MB ChB, FRACP, MRCP, PhD
Glutamic Acid Dearboxylase Immunity and Regulation In IDDM (PhD)
Schmidli RS, Donald RA, Espiner EA.
ACTH deficiency - problems in recognition and diagnosis. NZ Med J
1989; 102: 255-257.
Schmidli RS, Wilson I, Espiner EA, Richards
AM, Donald RA. Aminohydroxypropylidine diphosphonate (APD) in primary
hyperparathyroidism; effect on clinical status. Clin Endocrinol 1990;
Ellis MJ, Schmidli RS, Donald RA, Livesey
JH, Espiner EA. Plasma corticotrophin-releasing factor and vasopressin
responses to hypoglycaemia in normal man. Clin Endocrinol 1990; 32:
Schmidli RS, Lynn KL. Acute renal
failure complicating non-fulminating hepatitis A infection - a case report.
NZ Med J 1990; 103: 375.
Schmidli RS, Scott RS, Bremer JM, Shand
BI, Elliott T, Moore MP. Effect of supplementary night-time insulin
on rheology and atherogenic risk factors in type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Cardiovasc Risk Factors 1991; 1: 361-367.
Schmidli RS, Hagan C, Scott RS, Livesey
J, Forbes LV. Plasma proinsulin in recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes
mellitus. Diab Res Clin Pract 1993; 20: 133-138.
Harrison LC, Honeyman MC, DeAizpurua
HJ, Schmidli RS, Colman PG, Tait BD, Cram DS. Inverse relation between
humoral and cellular immunity to glutamic acid decarboxylase in subjects
at risk of insulin-dependent diabetes. Lancet 1993; 341: 1365-1369.
Schmidli RS, DeAizpurua HJ, Harrison
LC, Colman PG. Antibodies to glutamic acid decarboxylase in at-risk
and clinical insulin-dependent diabetic subjects: relationship to age,
sex and islet cell antibody status, and temporal profile. J Autoimmunity
1994; 7: 55-66.
Schmidli RS, Colman PG, Bonifacio E,
Bottazzo GF, Harrison LC. High level of concordance between assays
for glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies (GADAb): the first international
GADAb workshop. Diabetes 1994; 43: 1005-1009.
Schmidli RS, Colman PG, Harrison LC.
Do glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies improve the prediction of IDDM
in first-degree relatives at-risk for IDDM? J Autoimmun 1994; 7:
Schmidli RS, Colman PG, Bonifacio E.
Disease sensitivity and specificity of fifty-two assays for glutamic acid
decarboxylase antibodies: the second international glutamic acid decarboxylase
antibody workshop. Diabetes 1995; 44: 636-640.
Schmidli RS, Faulkner-Jones BE, James
RFL, Harrison LC, DeAizpurua HJ. Cytokine regulation of GAD biosynthesis
in isolated rat islets of Langerhans. Biochem J 1996; 317: 713-9.
Willis JA, Scott RS, Brown LJ, Forbes
LV, Schmidli RS, Zimmet PZ, Mackay IR, Rowley MJ. Islet cell antibodies
and antibodies against glutamic acid decarboxylase in newly diagnosed adult-onset
diabetes mellitus. Diab Res Clin Pract 1996; 33: 89-97.
Cui L, Yu W-P, DeAizpurua HJ, Schmidli
RS, Pallen CJ. Cloning and characterization of IAR, a novel receptor-like
protein tyrosine phosphatase and autoantigen in insulin-dependent diabetes.
J Biol Chem 1996; 271: 24817-24823.
Schmidli RS, Colman PG, Cui L, Yu W-P,
Kewming K, Jankulovski C, Harrison LC, Pallen CJ, DeAizpurua HJ.
Antibodies to the novel protein tyrosine phosphatase IAR predict development
of insulin-dependent diabetes (IDDM) in first-degree relatives at-risk
for IDDM. Autoimmunity. 1998; 28: 15-23.
Colman PG, McNair P, Margetts H, Schmidli
RS, Werther G, Alford F, Ward GM, Tait BD, Honeyman MC, Harrison LC.
The Melbourne prediabetes study: prediction of type 1 diabetes mellitus
using antibody and metabolic testing. Med J Aust 1998; 169: 81-4.
Colman PG, McNair PD, Gellert S, Kewming K, Schmidli RS, Steele CE, Harrison LC.
Development of autoantibodies to islet antigens during childhood: implications for preclinical type 1 diabetes screening.
Pediatr Diabetes 2002; 3:144-8.
Vress D, Schmidli RS. Evaluation of transition of type 1 diabetes paediatric patients to the adult service at the Canberra Hospital. MSJA 2011; 3: 18-23.
Somi N, Schmidli RS. Prospective study of the effect of Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion on the quality of life of patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. MSJA 2013; 5: 6-9.
Okolie K, Chen D, Ghabrial R, Schmidli RS. Exophthalmos and multinodular goitre, an unusual combination. Endocrinol Diabetes Metab Case Rep. 2019; 2019: 18-0138.
Harrison LC, Schmidli RS, Petrovsky
N, Honeyman MC. Insulin-dependent diabetes. In: Clinical Immunology.
Oxford University Press. (Bradley J, McClusky J eds.).
Schmidli RS, Harrison LC. GAD
Antibodies. In: Textbook of autoantibodies. (Shoenfeld Y, Peter
Faulkner-Jones BE, French M, Schmidli
RS, Williamson S, Cram DS, Honeyman MC, Harrison LC. Expression and
function of glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) as an autoantigen in insulin-dependent
diabetes. In: Lessons from Animal Diabetes. (Shafrir E ed.).
Schmidli R, Lafferty KJ. Diabetes:
of mice and men. Today's Life Science 1998; 10: 20-24.
Schmidli RS. PCSK9 inhibitors: clinical applications. Aust Prescr 2016;39:168-701 DOI: 10.18773/austprescr.2016.061
- 1993 Invited speaker, 11th Immunology and Diabetes Workshop (IDW) symposium
- 1993 Poster presentation, 11th IDW symposium
- 1994 Invited speaker, 12th IDW symposium
- 1994 Oral presentation, 12th IDW symposium
- 1994 Poster presentation, 12th IDW symposium
- 1995 Poster presentation, Immunology of Diabetes '95 symposium
- 1995 Invited speaker, Australian Diabetes Society Melbourne
- 1995 Institute seminar, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
- 1995 Invited speaker, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Singapore
- 1996 Invited speaker, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Canberra
- 1996 Invited speaker, Centenary Institute of Cell Biology and Cancer, Sydney
- 1998 Oral presentations (2), 2nd Immunology of Diabetes Society (IDS) symposium
- 1998 Divisional seminar, Department of Molecular Medicine, John Curtin School
- 1998 Oral presentation, Australian Diabetes Society, Perth
- 1998 Invited speaker, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, USA
- 1998 Invited speaker, Barbara Davis Centre for Childhood Diabetes, Denver, USA
- 1982-83: House Officer, Invercargill,NZ November
- 1983-84: House Officer, Christchurch, NZ November
- 1984-85: Medical Registrar, Christchurch, NZ
- 1986: Senior House Officer, Arrowe Park Hospital, Merseyside, UK
- 1986-87: Medical Registrar, Christchurch, NZ
- 1987-88: Endocrinology Registrar, Christchurch, NZ
- 1988-89: Medical Registrar, Christchurch, NZ
- 1989-90: AMP Diabetes Research Fellow, Christchurch, NZ
- 1991-92: Burnet Clinical Research Unit Registrar, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne
- 1992-93: Lilly Diabetes Fellow, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne
- 1992-96: Assistant Physician, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne
- 1993-96: NH&MRC Research Scholar, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
- 1996-2000: Postdoctoral Fellow, The John Curtin School of Medical Research
- 1997: Locum Senior Specialist (Endocrinology), The Canberra Hospital
- 1998: Locum Senior Specialist (Endocrinology), The Canberra Hospital
- 1997-2004: Visiting Senior Specialist (Adolescent Diabetes), The Canberra Hospital
- 1998-present: Visiting Endocrinologist, John James Memorial Hospital, The National Capital Private Hospital
- 1999-present: Visiting Private Endocrinologist, Cooma, Goulburn, Young
- 2004-present: Senior Endocrinologist, The Canberra Hosptial
- 2007-present: Senior Lecturer, ANU Medical School